This time of year, a lot of people are thinking about ways to help those who are less fortunate.
Some like to volunteer directly, others donate goods, and many like to give money to charitable organizations.
If you fall into that last category, this is your annual reminder: always look into a charity before you give them money. There are people out there who take advantage of others’ goodwill, and sometimes they set up elaborate schemes to siphon funds meant for other purposes.
If you’re unfamiliar with an organization, one of the best places to start is Charity Navigator. There you can find out how much of a charity’s income it actually spends on its programs, how much it spends on fundraising, and more. Quick tip: if it spends 3% on programs and over 85% on fundraising, pass on making a contribution. All charities have some operating expenses, but that’s just beyond the pale.
I’m leery of charities that make cold calls. I used to get one all the time from an alleged charity that had something to do with police officers. I forget which one, so I won’t try to guess, but I recall the people on the phone would routinely imply that they themselves were actual officers. They weren’t. I never donated a cent because the whole operation sounded shady to me. Later I found out their operating expenses, including fundraising, executive salaries and administrative costs, took up something like 98% of their income. The other 2% went to whatever the charity claimed to do (they were vague about this as well). Maybe there are good charities that make cold calls, but I’ve never been contacted by one, so make sure you check them out before you donate a dime.
I believe the best way to avoid charity scams is to decide in advance who is getting your donations each year, and contact the organization(s) yourself. Pick your favorites, find out how to get in touch, and give whatever you are able.
They’ll be thrilled to take that call. I guarantee it.